How to Create a Government Gateway with HMRC
Creating a government gateway account will allow you to manage your taxes and details with HMRC. Since a government gateway account can be associated with multiple taxes, we recommend adding each tax to the account as soon as you register for it. We also recommend creating a one government gateway for each business so that they do not get muddled up.
Creating a government gateway account should be a straightforward process, however, some people find it stressful and confused. To help prevent this, we have written a step by step guide to help you set up your government gateway account up hassle free.
Instructions on how to create government gateway account:
- Go to HMRC’s website here: https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services
- Click the GREEN sign in button.
- Click “Create sign in details”
- Enter your email address where asked.
- You will now be emailed a confirmation code. Use this code to confirm your email address.
- You will now be issued with a User ID for your government gateway account. Please save this and keep it somewhere safe because if you lose it it can create a lot of work in the future (not to mention if you lose it moments before a deadline you may receive a late payment penalty)IMPORTANT: The User ID is sometimes confused for your UTR (personal tax ID number). If you are registering for self assessment you will need to complete another step to register with HMRC.
Once you have followed the above steps, you should have created your government gateway account.
If any of this isn’t clear and you have any questions on how to create a government gateway account, or even if you have questions on anything else, like how to start a business, how to setup a limited company or something about VAT, then please get in touch with us using the chat feature below.